Sometimes, waiting or sacrificing things is actually just opening the door for God to grant us the desires of our hearts in a spectacular way...

Thursday, October 16, 2008

What Kind Of An Impression Are You Making Today?


I just finished reading a very thoughtful book. "Children Are Wet Cement", by Anne Ortlund. In this book she uses the image of wet cement to describe the heart and mind of the very impressionable child. She reminds us the impact actions, attitudes, behaviors and values of parents, grandparents (and other influential adults), who raise up children to adulthood, have on that child. She encourages parents (and any adult who works with children) to think more purposefully in how we approach the raising of our children.

I came away with a great principle that I plan to put more into action with my own little ones...The author reminded me to look at my children as God looks at me:

Not as I am now but what I will become.

How do I put this into practice? Well, through much prayer... seeing my child as they will be as a mature man or woman. Praying for them to become all that God wants them to be. Purposefully guiding them through life with affirmation and love. Encouraging them through my words. Hugging them even more often. Seeking the best and not pointing out the worst all of the time.

A child believes what they hear. If they hear they are lazy or dumb all of their lives... well, they will quiet possibly learn to believe that very attribute about themselves as long as they live.

Really, we don't have to even say the words... it can be in that disapproving exhale... in our attitudes toward them...in the roll of our eyes... in the way we act toward them in simple every day situations (like doing our Math!). OH... and when I mess up... I must say out loud and sincerely, "I was wrong"... "I am sorry".... "Forgive me". Very humbling... yet God humbled himself for me... this is the very least I can do for my own dear children.

As I have been reading through this book, I have started again to evaluate how I treat my own children... Do I affirm them enough? Do I apologize to them when I am wrong in my attitudes or actions toward them and others (like my husband)? Do I continually pray for them and their future? Is my heart always turned toward them? Or, is it distracted by my own cares and worries.

It is so easy to get caught up and distracted in day to day life (and sometimes too much activity) that we neglect the ones right under our loving care by not hugging them enough... or just looking into their eyes and deeply sharing our pride in them or an apology for a sharp response to a very innocent question... or just not listening as carefully as I should as the chatter continues on and on :)

I am encouraged to take time to stop and listen... to pray even more earnestly... and to truly love my dear little blessings as God has loved even me.

No comments:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *