Sometimes, waiting or sacrificing things is actually just opening the door for God to grant us the desires of our hearts in a spectacular way...

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cancer and the Parting of the Pacific Ocean

Learning of my diagnosis of stage IV Breast Cancer was quite an overwhelming realization.

The very first night, after spending all day in the ER, thinking I was having gallbladder trouble...

I found myself left alone in an ancient hospital bed...in a room with three other male patients...in a public hospital...in North Sydney.

My mind whirled with confusion and deep despair as to what this diagnosis meant for my family.  Sleep never came for me...tears flowed.

When you find yourself in desperation...where do you turn?

I turn to Jesus.  He is my source of strength in time of weakness.  I began to pray and pour out my heart to my Lord and Savior.  I told Him my fears...my concerns...my desperate need for peace amidst this very uncertain future...my need to have a tangible and very present hand from God in my current situation.  He gave me this assurance deep within my heart..."I will never leave you nor forsake you..." 

Morning came early...along with my husband...who brought my Bible in hand and my favorite devotional book written by Charles Spugeon, "Morning and Evening".   It's an oldie, but rich with wisdom written by a man who walked with God.

As I opened the morning passage it lead me to Exodus chapter 14:13-14.

... "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."

The words seemed to jump off the page..."Do not be afraid..stand firm...I will deliver you...you need only be still... "  the devotional that followed was just what I needed.  A reminder that God is sovereign over all... and will fight for me in my time of need... just like He did for the nation of Israel at the parting of the Red Sea long ago.

  The Sun Setting over the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica, California


As I rested in this fact, a stream of Doctors, and diagnostic testing began to occur...I was moved to the private hospital in record speed, a pure miracle by Australian standards.  We were amazed at how God began to unfold this new chapter in our lives... miracle after miracle began to unfold and all we needed to do was be still and watch.


Pastor Cole and his wife Sally, two of many who helped encourage us and to help us pack for our journey...A wonderful memory of our church family at St. Thomas Anglican Church in North Sydney.


Our Australian and Consular friends rallied around our family with so much support...we wanted for nothing and were so blessed to watch the hands of God at work... tangible evidence of God's love for our family was poured out through the love of so many.  It was truly remarkable and a blessing beyond all measure... I did not have to lift a finger as our friends packed our family in 24 hours to head for an indefinite amount of time to the United States...


In less than one week, I was diagnosed, had every diagnostic test in hand, and was fully prepared to be Medically Evacuated to the United States to begin treatment with one of the leading doctors in the nation for the exact type of cancer I have.  Not only that, but the newest "miracle" drug has literally just been approved by the FDA to actually fight (and has the potential to perhaps cure) the type of stage IV breast cancer I have been diagnosed with.

As we flew across the Pacific Ocean... I just marveled as I realized... this was a journey so unexpected... so painful... Yet, so amazing and wonderful at the same time.  Our lives are truly changed forever... the future is very uncertain... yet... we are learning to walk one day at a time... being still for now... and watching God work His glory in even this situation.

I am confident of one thing...The Lord will fight for me, I need only be still.
 
Our family in Palm Springs... resting at Grandma and Grandpa's home...one day after my first Chemotherapy Treatment

1 comment:

homeschooling in the garden of life said...

Hooray! So glad to hear your thoughts and words. God is so faithful. We love you all so much ....
Kristi (for all the Kronz's)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *