Sometimes, waiting or sacrificing things is actually just opening the door for God to grant us the desires of our hearts in a spectacular way...

Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Seed Is Sown in Good Soil

Signs of Spring are finally here... The Bees are Busy!

Yesterday we planted our first seeds to begin our kitchen garden.

My sweet girlfriend even participated in our first planting...she brought me potato seeds! Of course, Idaho is famous for potatoes and I would be remiss if I did not provide a space for them in our garden...

My children eagerly gathered around our pristine new boxes of deep rich soil and we discussed the art and science of gardening... Homeschooling at it's best!


My son eagerly obeyed my instructions and planted the individual seeds in the holes I provided for him and gently covered them up. He is very excited as to what will happen! " When will they grow?" As we thoroughly watered our meager little seeds, my son fully expected IMMEDIATE results! I explained that this would take several weeks... of waiting patiently for the fruit of our labor...

My Daughter and I were talking about why we plant seeds in deep fertile soil rather than shallow hard soil. She explained to me that she had already studied this topic... I asked here where she had read about it... I fully expected to hear her tell me... in her science book... No, she told me it was in her Bible! The Parable of the Sower, found in Mathew 13:1-23.

A farmer went out to sow his seed.
As he was scattering the seed,
some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up.
Some fell on rocky places where it did not have much soil.
It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow.
But when the sun came up,
the plants were scorched,
and they withered because they had no root.
Others seed fell among thorns,
which grew up and choked the plants.
Still other seed fell on good soil,
where it produced a crop- a hundred,
sixty or thirty times what was sown...

...Listen to what the parable of the sower means:
When anyone hears the message about the kingdom
and does not understand it,
the evil one comes and snatches away
what was sown in his heart.
This is the seed sown along the path.
The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places
is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy.
But since he has no root he lasts only a short time.
When trouble or persecution comes because of the word,
he quickly falls away.
The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns
is the man who hears the word ,
but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth
choke it making it unfruitful.
But, the one who received the seed that fell on good soil
is the man who hears the word and understands it.
He produces a crop,
yielding a hundred,sixty or thirty times what was sown.

The Holy Bible, NIV

I was truly blessed today by my daughter's understanding of gardening...



2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is always a blessing to see a seed take root in a heart and grow to produce much fruit. Sarah has just produced much fruit. The seed of God's word in her is growing quite well I think. It is a blessing to see and hear. Thanks you God.

Anonymous said...

Dyana-I want to thank you so much for your card. That really meant a lot to me. I have been keeping up to date with your blog and I think it's wonderful! Thank you for sharing the day to day activities of your family and for also sharing what God places on your heart.
Love You-
Shari

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *