Sometimes, waiting or sacrificing things is actually just opening the door for God to grant us the desires of our hearts in a spectacular way...

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thoughts on a New Year

It is mid January...and I am slowly warming up to the idea of setting my heart toward new goals and reminiscing another year gone by.  Some years I am eager to set a fresh and brisk pace for the New Year....Wipe the slate clean and start over!

This year is different. Perhaps, being in the midst of lovely summer weather, has put me in a different (and perhaps better) frame of mind... to slow down and just be content with today...Perhaps, it is an attempt to slow down the rate at which time seems to pass... the older I get... (this year my sweet baby girl is turning 13!)

As I contemplate setting goals and making plans in the new year for myself and my family, I am reminded that:

"In his heart a man plans his course,
but the Lord determines his steps..." Proverbs 16:9


"Many the plans are in a man's heart, 
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails..." Proverbs 19:21

Last year, around this time, living in Australia was the furthest thing on my mind! I had no idea that this was the course God had planned for my husband and our family. Yet, God has been preparing my heart for this adventure over the past few years... teaching me to trust Him more... purifying me...showing me time and time again His faithfulness in difficult circumstances, and walking along side me in the good, as well as the very difficult, things life throws at us.


I have been learning to seek Joy in all circumstances, not just the happy and comfortable ones... I think the more uncomfortable I am, the more Joy-filled I should strive to become...this is the hard part. I am a perfection seeker. I like things to be just right... when circumstances are out of control... I feel the opposite of Joy-filled.

I have had my share of out of control moments this past year... and, I think that God has blessed me through every single one of them.  Honestly,  I have not behaved in an attitude of Joy through them all... I have had my moments of trust, as well as many more moments of panic, doubt, and "why me".  Yet, God blesses me in spite of my weakness... my joy is complete in Him.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 
because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  
Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, 
not lacking anything..." James 1:2-3


As for New Year's resolutions... I have a few... but the most important is to continue to walk in Joy...

1 comment:

Homeschooling in the Garden of Life said...

YOU are the best person to write this post of anyone I know :-) Thank you for sharing your heart. God is good .... all of the time. Continue to abide and watch Him work.
Much love,
K.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *